foodwatch is looking with the recruitment agency "Talents4Good" for an Executive Director (m/f/d) for foodwatch International in full-time based in Berlin.
With offices in Berlin, Amsterdam, Paris and Vienna, foodwatch is an international, not-for-profit organisation that fights for consumers’ right to safe and high-quality food. First established in 2002, foodwatch is a public pressure group for consumer protection, exposing abuses in the food sector and naming those responsible. foodwatch is independent of governments and the food industry and is financed through supporter contributions and donations.
foodwatch does not promote a certain way of eating but instead, fights back against anti-consumer business practices and advocates for more consumer rights in the agrifood sector. As outspoken proponents of consumer protection, foodwatch asks the difficult questions and focuses on awareness-raising campaign work, enabling consumers to make informed choices about what they eat. Experience has shown that pro-consumer changes are only made when public pressure forces the respective companies or policymakers to act responsibly. foodwatch’s independence from government and the food industry means that it is free in its choice of issues and campaign approach.
The Executive Director for foodwatch International will lead a phase of development of the organisation to strengthen foodwatch’s widely-recognized role as a major advocate of consumer rights across Europe. This is an exciting opportunity for a collaborative leader with experience coordinating international teams and political campaigning savvy to provide accurate information to consumers and encourage public debate and promote change.
Duties and Responsibilities
- At foodwatch, the International Executive Director (IED) will lead a highly motivated team which is small enough to offer short decision-making paths and direct exchange between all levels of the organisation, and large enough to initiate and coordinate the international programme of foodwatch. The IED heads the International Unit with team members based in Berlin and Brussels. Furthermore, the IED will be responsible for the effective coordination of the five teams across Europe and shape the overall international development of foodwatch.
- Continuation of overall organisational development: In close consultation with all foodwatch offices, including the Boards of national offices, the IED will lead the organisation in evaluating campaign strategy, planning and governance processes with a view to strengthening its campaigning at national and European level, where necessary, introducing and developing new ways and systems of working.
- Facilitate and coordinate the development and implementation of national and international campaigns (national to EU level and vice versa). The IED provides major input and guidance on the vision and strategy of foodwatch international and supports national teams in translating this into the respective national contexts.
- Review foodwatch’s governance structures and, together with colleagues and board, make recommendations and adaptations to them to ensure the organisation’s functionality and agility.
- Maintain and establish meaningful relationships with current and future high-level contacts (political stakeholders as well as donors and the media).
- Share the management of the German umbrella association (e. V.) with the German Executive Director as a team.
- The IED’s final decision-making authority is recognised under the International Cooperation Agreement (ICA), a contract between the national offices that provides detailed guidance on the organisation’s mission and governance.
Skills and Experience
- Experience working as a collaborative and transparent team leader.
- A strong sense of European political dynamics and experience in political campaign work, ideally in the fields of agriculture, nutrition, health or related regulatory and policy fields.
- Familiarity with the development of political campaign strategies, with experience coordinating global teams and supporting appropriate levers to trigger public debate and promote positive change.
- Ability to communicate effectively – both with internal and external stakeholders, including the media.
- An international mindset – bringing experience and interest in working in a cross-cultural, multi-lingual team.
- Committed to the development of staff, structures and working methods to achieve the foodwatch mission.
- Capacity to monitor closely, set and operate budgets and oversee the achievement of budgetary targets.
- A passion for recognising and communicating the central importance of the role of food and agriculture in Europe in advancing democratic and consumer rights.
- The working language of the international organisation is English. A high level of professional written and spoken English, as well as German, is essential. A working knowledge of French or Dutch would also be an asset.
What we offer
IMPACT: foodwatch is a powerful, internationally active NGO and one of the most important players in the field of European consumer protection.
INDEPENDENCE: Our broad funding enables us to act independently and critical of power and to focus on effective campaigning.
STRATEGIC AND ORGANISATIONAL DEVELOPMENT: You will have plenty of creative space to set significant courses for the future of the organisation.
TEAMING: You will work in close interaction with inspiring personalities and highly competent people who pull together.
CONDITIONS: A permanent full-time position with a competitive NGO salary and the possibility to work on a regular basis from home is offered.
Piqued your interest?
If you would like to work with a competent international team to push forward foodwatch’s international work and impact, we look forward to receiving your application.
To apply for this role, please send your CV (in English) and a motivation letter (one page) that summarises how your profile aligns with the key requirements, skills and abilities of this role, as well as details of your possible start date and your salary expectations to Talents4Good via the online application form.
We are also currently looking for an Executive Director (m/f/d) for foodwatch Germany, who will also be based in Berlin. This role will work closely with the Executive Director of the international team. If you wish to apply for the positions as a tandem, please apply individually for each position and name the tandem person in both applications.
If you have any questions about the position, please do not hesitate to contact the recruitment agency "Talents4Good". They are responsible for the application process.