Restrict food speculation: Feed people not banks!
Investors make profits while families from Ethiopia to Yemen can no longer afford basic foods. Financial gamblers shamelessly exploit the war in Ukraine: They speculate on wheat, maize and rice - driving prices even higher. Shortly before the G20 summit in Bali, foodwatch calls on the G20 Heads of States: No one should make profits that fuel hunger! We demand an end to excessive speculation now!
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Prices for basic foodstuffs are at an all-time high - bets on the financial markets drive them further up. The following measures can save millions of people from hunger:
- Strongly limit the amount of food commodity futures: Lower position limits for these contracts to curb excessive speculation!
- Exclude institutional investors and mutual funds from the food commodities business.
- Increase transparency in the markets: Investors and commodity groups must disclose their holdings to prevent panic in the markets.
Calling on you: Prevent even more hunger and put an end to excessive speculation with food! Food is not a commodity, but a human right!
Your first name & surname, place and comment, if given (will be completed automatically)
- Charles Michel, President of the European Council
- Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission
- Olaf Scholz, Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany
- Emmanuel Macron, President of the French Republic
- Karl Nehammer, Federal Chancellor of the Republic of Austria
- Mark Rutte, Prime Minister of the Netherlands
European Committee on Economic and Monetary Affairs
A joint action of:
foodwatch started the petition on 20.06.2022.